Carlo Ancelotti has left his role as Everton manager to take up the position of head coach at Real Madrid.

The Everton board will meet on Tuesday night to discuss possible replacements for the departing Italian. They met last week to support the head coach with his plans for next season, however, since then Ancelotti told the club he wanted to leave.

The 61-year-old is to re-join Real Madrid, with the La Liga club having confirmed the appointment on Tuesday evening.

An Everton club statement read: “Everton can confirm that Carlo Ancelotti has left his position as manager to take up the role of Head Coach at Real Madrid.”

“Everton would like to place on record its thanks to Carlo for his service to the Club over the past 18 months.

“The Club will begin the process of appointing a new manager immediately and will provide updates in due course.” Ancelotti, who joined Everton on a four-and-a-half-year contract in December 2019, said: “I would like to thank the Board of Directors, the players, and the Evertonians for the tremendous support they have all given me during my time at the Club.

“I have complete respect for everyone associated with Everton and hope they can achieve the exciting opportunities they have in front of them.

“While I have enjoyed being at Everton I have been presented with an unexpected opportunity which I believe is the right move for me and my family at this time.”

Ancelotti also released a statement on his Twitter account, revealing that he decided to depart Goodison Park for a new challenge at a club that is “always in my heart”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here